When you are ready to resolve serious debt issues, meeting with a bankruptcy attorney for an initial consult can be the best way to get answers about your options for moving forward.
While this meeting can provide you with some insight regarding whether bankruptcy may be a viable debt relief solution for you, it can also serve as an opportunity for you to obtain other information that may be helpful for you in the future.
To help you prepare, below are some of the more important questions to remember to ask as you get ready for a meeting with a bankruptcy lawyer.
What to Ask a Bankruptcy Attorney in a Consult
- Is bankruptcy an option for me? – If you have filed for bankruptcy in the recent past – or if the majority of your debts are not dischargeable, bankruptcy may not be the best option (or an option at all) for you. If, however, you have never filed for bankruptcy before (or a prior case was a long time ago) and a good portion of your debts can be discharged via bankruptcy, knowing this upfront can help you immediately hone on your best debt relief solution.
- Would another debt relief option better serve me? – Just because you qualify for bankruptcy may not make it the best debt relief option for you, especially if you have certain goals or needs. So be sure to ask about other options and what those would entail.
- What is your experience with cases like mine? – All debt situations are not the same, and working with an experienced lawyer moving forward can be essential to bringing your situation to the best possible resolution. So, get some info about how long a lawyer has been handling debt-related cases and how much of his or her practice is devoted to this practice.
- What potential challenges should I be prepared for? – Is there some debt you will still be on the hook for after bankruptcy? Will you need to liquidate some of your assets in order to resolve your debt issues? Or are there other potential challenges you need to be aware of moving forward? Asking this upfront can help you set up some realistic expectations.
- What do you charge for your services? – You don’t want to go into greater debt as you try to climb out of it, so make sure you are working with a lawyer who charges competitive rates. If needed, you may also want to ask about payment plan options.
Contact a Denver Bankruptcy Attorney at Garcia & Gonzales, P.C.
Are you looking for real relief from serious debt? If so, you can trust the experienced Denver bankruptcy attorney at Garcia & Gonzales, P.C. to provide you with experienced help, honest answers and the highest quality legal services.
To learn more about your best debt relief options, as well as how we can help you, contact us today by calling (303) 839-8888 or by emailing us using the drop-down contact form at the top of this page. When you contact us, you will communicate directly with one of our attorneys, not a paralegal or legal assistant. We welcome Spanish-speaking individuals to contact us also – hablamos Español.