Yes, as long as you meet the necessary requirements. In fact, whether you will be able to pursue another Colorado bankruptcy case will depend on:
- How long ago your previous bankruptcy petition was filed
- What type of bankruptcy case you previously pursued
- Whether your previous Colorado bankruptcy case was successfully resolved.
Filing for Colorado Bankruptcy Again: Here’s What You Should Know
If your previous bankruptcy case was successfully completed and…
- If your previous case was a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, then you will have to wait at least 8 years from the filing date of your previous case in order to be eligible to file for Chapter 7 again in Colorado. This time frame is cut in half to 4 years, however, if you want to pursue Chapter 13 bankruptcy the next time around.
- If your previous case was a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, then you will have to wait at least 2 years from the filing date of your previous case in order to be eligible to file for Chapter 13 again in Colorado. This time frame extends to 6 years if you want to pursue a Chapter 7 case in your next filing.
If, however, your previous bankruptcy case was not successfully resolved, here’s what you should be aware of when it comes to filing for Colorado bankruptcy again:
- If a previous bankruptcy case was dismissed, which can occur when petitioners haven’t met certain requirements (such as completing the necessary paperwork/paying the court fees), you will usually have to wait 180 days before refiling for bankruptcy in Colorado.
- If a previous bankruptcy petition was denied, which can occur when petitioners may have committed bankruptcy fraud (for instance), there may be unique challenges that arise with pursuing Colorado bankruptcy again. In these cases, it’s best to work with an experienced attorney to find out if refiling for bankruptcy is, in fact, your best debt relief option.
Denver Bankruptcy Attorneys at Garcia & Gonzales, P.C.
Do you need help getting out from under serious debt? If so, you can trust the experienced Denver bankruptcy attorneys at Garcia & Gonzales, P.C. to provide you with experienced help, honest answers and the highest quality legal services. With more than 50 years of combined legal experience, our trusted lawyers have the legal knowledge, skills and insight you can rely on to help you favorably resolve your debt issues and obtain a financial fresh start.
Serving individuals, families and businesses throughout Denver and Colorado since 1977, our attorneys can always be trusted to help you achieve the best possible outcomes to your financial issues.