Garcia & Gonzales, P.C.
Bankruptcy Glossary: Common Bankruptcy Terms Defined (Pt. 2)
Resuming Bankruptcy Glossary: Common Bankruptcy Terms Defined (Pt. 1), here, we will highlight the definitions of some more commonly used bankruptcy terms. If you will be or are going through bankruptcy, understanding what these terms mean and how they may apply to your situation can be important.
Our Bankruptcy Glossary Continued
- Dischargeable debt – Debt that can be discharged or eliminated through a bankruptcy proceeding. Debts that generally qualify as dischargeable in legitimate bankruptcy cases include (but are not necessarily limited to) credit card debt, mortgage debt, car loan debt, medical bill-related debt, etc.
- Exemptions – The property that can be excluded from a bankruptcy estate due to the applicable Colorado Bankruptcy laws. For instance, Colorado bankruptcy exemptions can allow people to keep some of their personal property, vehicles and possibly even their home as long as the value of these items doesn’t exceed the allowable maximum for the given exemption.
- Joint petition – A bankruptcy petition that has been filed by a married couple. While married people do not have to file for bankruptcy jointly, when they do, they can enjoy certain advantages (such as higher allowable bankruptcy exemptions).
- Lien – The legal right to hold or liquidate a debtor’s property due to some outstanding debt. For example, creditors like the IRS can place liens against people’s homes (or other valuable property) until people pay or resolve their outstanding tax debt.
- Liquidation – The selling off of a debtor’s property as part of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case. The proceeds from the sale are used to pay off the debtor’s creditors, and debtors can use bankruptcy exemptions to protect some of their property and prevent it from being liquidated.
For the definitions of some final important bankruptcy terms to understand, be sure to check out the conclusion to this bankruptcy glossary, or back to part 1.
Denver Metro Area Bankruptcy Attorneys at Garcia & Gonzales, P.C.
Are you looking for real relief from serious debt? If so, you can trust the experienced Denver bankruptcy attorneys at Garcia & Gonzales, P.C. to provide you with experienced help, honest answers and the highest quality legal services. With more than 50 years of combined legal experience, our trusted lawyers have the legal knowledge, skills and insight you can rely on to help you favorably resolve your debt issues and obtain a financial fresh start.
Serving individuals, families and businesses throughout Denver and Colorado since 1977, our attorneys can always be relied on to work diligently to help you achieve the best possible outcomes to your financial issues.
Let’s Discuss Your Debt Relief Options – Contact Us Today
To learn more about your best debt relief options, as well as how we can help you, contact us today by calling or by emailing us using the drop-down contact form at the top of this page.
When you contact us, you will communicate directly with one of our attorneys, not a paralegal or legal assistant. We welcome Spanish-speaking individuals to contact us also – hablamos Español.