When people fall behind on their debt payments, their creditors can take legal action against them by pursuing court orders for wage garnishments. If granted, these orders will effectively permit creditors to automatically take a percentage of people’s income directly from their paychecks or bank accounts.
Because wage garnishments can be devastating to people who are already struggling with serious debt, it’s critical that anyone facing threats of garnishments consult with one of the trusted Denver metro area bankruptcy attorneys at Garcia & Gonzales, P.C. to:
- Find out more about their options for stopping wage garnishments and other actions creditors may be taking against them
- Protect themselves and get on the path to debt relief.
When bankruptcy is a viable option for people facing wage garnishments, filing for bankruptcy can be a powerful way to stop creditors from moving forward with wage garnishments (as well as with foreclosures, repossessions and lawsuits). The reason for this is that, as soon as people file for bankruptcy:
- A court order known as an automatic stay takes effect immediately.
- This court order halts any and all creditors a person may have from pursuing further punitive action against him.
In fact, once a bankruptcy petition has been filed:
- A person’s assets will become part of his bankruptcy estate, which will be overseen by a bankruptcy trustee.
- The establishment of a bankruptcy estate will prevent any single creditor from taking all of a person’s assets (which could possibly leave the other creditors empty handed).
Do you need help stopping wage garnishments or getting real relief from serious debt? If so, you can turn to the experienced Denver bankruptcy attorneys at Garcia & Gonzales, P.C. to provide you with experienced help, honest answers and the highest quality legal services. With more than 50 years of combined legal experience, our trusted lawyers have the legal knowledge, skills and insight you can rely on to help you successfully resolve your debt issues and obtain a financial fresh start.
Serving individuals, families and businesses throughout the Denver metro area and the state of Colorado since 1977, our attorneys can always be trusted to:
- Clearly explain your best options for resolving your debt issues, with a mind towards other legal issues you may be dealing with (or that may arise in resolving your debt)
- Provide you with effective, affordable and family-friendly services
- Work diligently to help you achieve the best possible outcomes to your financial issues.